18/06/2013


...i had another little family at the bottom of the garden - some bees. i rarely failed to visit them, and mamma often accompanied me. i took great interest in their work: it amused me immensely to see them returning from their foraging expeditions, their little legs often so loaded that they could scarcely move. at first my curiosity made me too inquisitive, and i was stung two or three times; but at last they got to know me so well, that they let me go as close to them as i pleased; and, however full their hives were, when they were ready to swarm, i had them all round me, on my hands and on my face, without ever getting stung. all animals rightly distrust human beings; but when they once feel sure that they do not mean to hurt them, their confidence becomes so great that a man must be worse than a barbarian to abuse it
rousseau
the confessions

No comments:

Post a Comment